Cinnamon Cake / Cimet Pita
Please scroll down for Croatian
The ultimate cinnamon & vanilla cake - great with lemon flavoured pastry cream!
100g vegetable fat
100g caster sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
For the sponge
6 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp vegetable oil
6 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
400ml of milk
80g sugar + 1 tsp vanilla sugar
150g butter, softened
juice of 1 lemon
1. Firstly, mix the vegetable fat and sugar with a mixer, adding the egg and honey. Add a spoonful of flour and continue mixing until a dough forms. Sift the baking powder and cinnamon into the remaining flour and knead into the dough - add a tablespoon or two of milk if needed to make the dough smoother.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / Gas Mark 6. Divide the dough into two equal parts and roll them out. Using two separate baking trays, place the pastries onto baking paper (22cm x 35cm) and bake for around 6 minutes. The pastry will be ready as soon as they begin to colour on the sides.
3. To make the sponge, start by whisking the eggs for a few minutes. Slowly add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and continue whisking until completely dissolved. Add the oil, flour, and baking powder. Bake in a baking tray lined with baking paper (22cm x 35cm) for around 12 minutes.
4. In the meantime, start preparing the cream by mixing the cornflour in 100ml of milk. Put the rest of the milk (300ml), with the sugar and vanilla, in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk in the cornflour and cook over low heat until it starts to thicken, then take it off the heat.
5. Completely cover the pastry cream with cling film while it's cooling to ensure it doesn't form a milk skin. Once it has cooled, mix in the butter and lemon juice.
6. Place one pastry on a serving tray and coat with half of the cream. Top with the sponge and coat with the other half of the cream, then place the second pastry on top. The cake is best when left for a day or two. Before serving, cover with a chocolate ganache (optional).
DID YOU MAKE THIS?
Tag me on Instagram at @Smikis-Corner I love seeing what you've made or leave a comment below.