Please scroll down for Croatian
A delicious chocolate cake that can be served as the main piece, or just for Sunday tea
4 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
175g soft dark brown sugar
60g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
250g butter (room temperature)
400g dark chocolate
300ml crème fraîche (room temperature)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C / 170°C Fan / Gas Mark 5. Line two round 20cm baking tins with baking paper.
2. To make the sponge put all the ingredients in a mixer, making sure to sift the flour, baking powder, and cocoa together.
3. Mix everything together. Divide evenly into prepared tins and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
4. Once baked, take the cake tins out and leave them to sit for around 10 minutes. Then take them out of the tins and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Melt the chocolate, add the crème fraîche and mix well. Place one sponge on a serving tray, spread frosting across the top then place another sponge on top. Coat the whole cake and leave the frosting to set for a few minutes. If you would like to decorate the cake with chocolate bars, then it is best to put them on as soon as the frosting is applied.
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page
DID YOU MAKE THIS?
I would love to hear about all of your baking, so please make sure to tag @smikis-corner on Instagram or leave a comment down below!