Butternut Squash Bread / Hleb od Bundeve
Please scroll down for Croatian
Inspired by the beetroot bread, I made something a little bit different, and wow the smell of squash while it's baking is just incredible!
300ml butternut squash juice
50ml olive oil
400g strong bread flour
100g wholemeal flour
7g dry yeast
1. Line 2 baking trays (20cm x 10cm) with baking paper. Place the juice and olive oil in a large mixing bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients. Using your hands knead the dough for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
2. Transfer to the greased mixing bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and then leave in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until double in size.
3. Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface and knead to knock out the air. Divide into two parts, about 450g each, and roll into loaves. Place into the prepared baking trays and set aside for 45 minutes to rise. Preheat the oven to 250°C / 230°C Fan / Gas Mark 9.
4. Place an empty tray in the bottom of the oven to heat it up. Then pour hot water in the empty tray to allow the steam to assist the baking of the bread. Place the bread on a separate, higher level of the oven.
5. Spray the surface of the bread before baking with cold water and bake for 30 minutes. When it's baked, the base should sound hollow when tapped. Leave to completely cool on a wire rack, then serve.
DID YOU MAKE THIS?
I would love to hear about all of your baking, so please make sure to tag @smikis-corner on Instagram or leave a comment down below!
Hleb od Bundeve